Skip to Main Content

Open Containers and Motor Vehicles

Reviewed 9/12/2022

Subscription Databases

Links with this icon lead to subscription databases. You must be at the Law Library to use these databases. 

Padlock icon

For more information, email us at

Open to the public Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
A to Z Database List / NHLL Blog

Read About The Law ...


There are state and federal laws as well as local ordinances dealing with open containers and motor vehicles. 



Although the books listed below do not deal with open container laws, it seems reasonable to assume that if you have problems under RSA 265-A:44, you may also be looking at problems under drunk driving laws. The first two books are Continuing Legal Education (CLE) materials from the New Hampshire Bar Association. These were written by lawyers for lawyers to accompany in-person seminars. CLEs can be very useful for finding information that may not be included in more formal treatises. The Law Library has over 1400 CLE publications on New Hampshire law from the NH Bar Association and other providers. 

Please remember that this guide is for information purposes only and is not comprehensive.  
It is intended as a starting point for research, to illustrate the various sources of the law, and to provide guidance in their use. 
NH Law About ... is not a substitute for the services of an attorney.