Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Small Claims

Reviewed 05/27/2022
Open to the public Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
A to Z Database List / NHLL Blog

Court Resources for Small Claims

Small claims court is intended to be a simple, speedy, and informal procedure to sue for money. Attorneys are allowed to handle small claims cases but more often parties represent themselves. In New Hampshire, small claims cases are filed in the District Division of the Circuit Court. The court's website has extensive information about small claims including definitions, checklists, forms, and electronic filing (e-filing). The problem is, it's all over the place. Follow the links below to find the various spots where the court has put small claims information.

Where to Sue

Collecting the Judgment

Collecting Across State Lines

If you have obtained a money judgment from a New Hampshire court against someone who lives out-of-state, you will need to "register" or "domesticate" your New Hampshire order. There is a uniform law called the Unified Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act (UEFJA)  but not all states have adopted this law. You will need to check the other state's statutes and court rules. 

Please remember that this guide is for information purposes only and is not comprehensive.  
It is intended as a starting point for research, to illustrate the various sources of the law, and to provide guidance in their use. 
NH Law About ... is not a substitute for the services of an attorney.